What Applies in Buildings
- Applies to all new and existing buildings and facilities.
- Fire Safety – Relates to specific elements of the building and facility, design or construction of the building, building protection as prescribed based on occupancy.
- Safety in Use – Applies to activities related to the use of the building and facility, condition of the building or facility, inadequately built-in protection for the building or facility.
- Designed to provide and maintain a Safe Building or Facility for all those who occupy.
You are required to maintain a safe building.
- You are required to control storage in the building, including service rooms, hazardous processes areas, classrooms, etc.
- You are required to maintain clear access to exits in buildings, maintain all exits, fire exit lights, and emergency lights.
- You are required to maintain all fire protection equipment (fire extinguishers, fire alarms systems, sprinkler systems, standpipes, etc.)
- You are required to provide fire department access when requested including an emergency plan and a fire safety plan.
Inspection requirements should encompass (NFC 22.214.171.124 – Records)
- All rooms, hallways, means of egress and fire exits.
- All storage rooms, service rooms, kitchens.
- Fire safety systems, fire alarms, sprinkler systems, fire extinguishers, etc.
- Hazardous Processes and Operations- Specific to shops, labs, etc.
- Fire Safety Plans & Fire Drills.
Thank you for reading, we hope you enjoyed this blog by our resident Risk Management & Loss Prevention Expert:
Alan Kavanaugh, CRM, CCPI
Director of Loss Control, Noratek Solutions Inc.
Please watch for future blogs with more great tips and info!